Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Light Goes On

Something just clicked to me when I was talking to Reasons14 yesterday. Our conversation was just about optimal and unexploitable in SNG's. Then I got to start thinking about everything and realized that when I play poker I am playing way to much like a robot. I am not really thinking about everything that is going on. That is the very key aspect of poker. You must always thinking about what is going on, what is going to happen, what range you put this person on, etc etc the rabbit hole is so endless. Its then when I realized that I have not been putting my mind and focusing into poker enough. This is the main reason why I feel like my results have been so sorry this month.

With a new mentality, I fired up some SNG's today and had a very good day. Granted I might of ran well in certain places but I feel like I tried to be more mentally involved in my game instead of playing like a robot. I felt like today I played one of my best sessions I have in a while. I know I am actively working on my game but I am just trying to take it to the next level. I think what I am just going to try to do is just make sure that I stay so focused on poker that I want to be mentally exhausted when my session is over. I know it sounds crazy but I know that if I feel this way I feel like I would of left everything on the virtual felt. I know another corny sports reference that relates to poker but that is how I feel.

I definitely am excited to see what the end of this month brings. I am very proud of myself because I have grinded out over 1k SNG's in a month for my highest volume month. Although it hasn't been easy and has been so freaking swinging I think I have learned a lot about myself and my game. I know what I need to do to take it to the next level and that is what I am going to try and do. That means being more of a student of the game and reading more strat articles etc. I am also going to get a deuces cracked membership this month and going to stop being a nit. This should help me for preparing for my transition to cash games in the future. I know I won't be playing SNG's for forever and feel like I need to evolve even more as a player. I also want to by the book Winning Poker Tournamnets One Hand at a Time. I think this will be a good book for me to read and help me with my bigger MTT game because right now I play them and feel like a fish out of water.

wbmustang

3 comments:

Reasons14 said...

Glad I could help you get your mind on straight. You should be proud about how much volume and studying you have been putting in. It'l pay off soon enough.

Alexander Carr said...

Us grinders have a tendency to play like robots. My most profitable days are those where I really focus and am in a zone. I'm on another level. It isn't usually just variance evening out (of course that helps). Good epiphany imo.

Unknown said...

Hi man...I would like to invite you to take a look at poker staking if you want to be staked or stake somebody at any live events or some big buy-in tournaments. This staking community has already some top notch members like Tony G and Erik Seidel. Don't forget that the WCOOP has already been announced. Take a look at the sticky post on my site www.sharkandfishpoker.com for more info

Best Regards